Skip to main content

Emma Thompson: I was always paid less than my male counterparts

Emma Thompson on gender pay gap
Emma Thompson says she was always paid less than her male colleagues. The 59-year-old actor-writer said women are still treated as “second-class citizens”. She also advocated to publish salaries to reveal the gender pay gap.
“I was always paid less than my male counterparts. Publishing figures is the first step. “It’s a forensic way of looking at how women are second-class citizens, and I appreciate that because it’s not emotional. This is the fact: this person does the same work for less money, and that’s just wrong,” Thompson told Good Housekeeping magazine.
42s
Hamleys unveil Harry Potter-themed floor
Hamleys toy shop on Regent Street in London unveils a new Harry Potter floor showcasing toys inspired by JK Rowling's books and films.
The Oscar-winning star urged women to be financially independent. “Earn your own living and keep your own money. It’s your cash and you should always decide what to do with it,” she said.
Emma Thompson has been a part of several super hit films like Sense And Sensibility, Love, Actually, Howard’s End and the Harry Potter series. The actor has won two Oscars, two Baftas and two Golden Globes for her stellar performances in her more than three-decade-long career in Hollywood.
Emma is currently working on the Hollywood adaptation of McEwan’s bestseller The Children Act. She will be seen portraying the lead role in the film which also stars Dunkirk star Fionn Whitehead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cate Blanchett named first global ambassador of Giorgio Armani Beauty

Cate Blanchett  has been named as  Giorgio Armani Beauty’s  first global ambassador. The Australian actress has worked with the Italian brand since 2013, when she was selected to front its Si fragrance line. However, her role has now been expanded, and she will now represent every single one of  Armani’s beauty categories, including skincare and make-up. And according to the label’s namesake designer,  Giorgio Armani , the Oscar winner is the perfect woman to take on the additional responsibilities. “Luminous and sophisticated, her natural elegance and distinguished beauty are striking,” the 83-year-old declared in a statement. “I am pleased to deepen our longstanding relationship.” Cate  has enjoyed a lengthy professional relationship with the brand, and as well as advertising its iconic perfume, she has worn gowns by Armani to numerous high-profile events, including several Academy Award ceremonies. The 49-year-old previously confessed tha...

Shikha Talsania on her journey from Wake Up Sid to Veere Di Wedding

“I am so glad that I have made all mothers proud because I don’t have a baby. I am a mother to my German Shepherd. That is the extent of my maternal instincts. I think it shows how much I enjoyed playing the part. I’m really grateful that people are responding this way. I’m over the moon,” Shikha Talsania, who plays a young mother Meera in Veere Di Wedding, said in an exclusive chat with indianexpress.com. Shikha is elated at the latest turn of events in her life. The actor said it was kind of love at fight sight with the script. “I read the script and I was sold because apart from being a young mother, there are other things that are happening in her life, which were so relatable,” shared Shikha. Shikha Talsania played  Ranbir Kapoor ’s friend Laxmi in Wake Up Sid. “I remember it was October 9, 2008. That was the day I gave my first shot. You know that feeling when you are doing exactly what you want to do in life, that happened to me,” she went on, “After Wake Up Si...