Skip to main content

Ali Zafar files defamation suit against Meesha Shafi

Ali Zafar Meesha Shafi defamation case
Ali Zafar, a renowned pop singer currently facing sexual harassment allegations from fellow musician Meesha Shafi, on Saturday filed a defamation suit in a district court against his accuser. The lawsuit, claiming damages of PKR 1 billion, was filed under the Defamation Ordinance 2002, reported Geo News.
The notice, sent by Zafar, said that Shafi damaged his reputation through false allegations.
It read: “Be that as it may, that due to the defamatory campaign being spearheaded by the defendant, the plaintiff besides special damages in case of defamation further suffered the following damages: Mental torture 2 crores, loss of contacts 8 crores, loss of reputation/ goodwill 50 crores, loss of business opportunities 40 crores.”
Shafi had received a legal notice sent by Zafar’s counsel earlier as well, which asked her to issue an apology on Twitter, failing which he would file a PKR 1 billion-defamation case against her.
Earlier, Ali Zafar had sent a legal notice demanding Meesha Shafi to apologise over the sexual harassment allegations she made against him. In the legal notice, Ali has asked Meesha to delete the tweet of allegations and issue an apology.
The Pakistani singer-songwriter has “categorically denied all claims of harassment” made by Shafi.
In a social media post, Meesha Shafi alleged that Zafar harassed her on multiple occasions. She shared a long note with a caption that read, “Sharing this because I believe that by speaking out about my own experience of sexual harassment, I will break the culture of silence that permeates through our society. It is not easy to speak out.. but it is harder to stay silent. My conscience will not allow it anymore #MeToo”
View image on Twitter
Sharing this because I believe that by speaking out about my own experience of sexual harassment, I will break the culture of silence that permeates through our society. It is not easy to speak out.. but it is harder to stay silent. My conscience will not allow it anymore
The note read, “It has been an extremely traumatic experience for me and my family. Ali is someone I have known for many years and someone who I have shared the stage with. I feel betrayed by his behaviour and his attitude and I know that I am not alone.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cate Blanchett named first global ambassador of Giorgio Armani Beauty

Cate Blanchett  has been named as  Giorgio Armani Beauty’s  first global ambassador. The Australian actress has worked with the Italian brand since 2013, when she was selected to front its Si fragrance line. However, her role has now been expanded, and she will now represent every single one of  Armani’s beauty categories, including skincare and make-up. And according to the label’s namesake designer,  Giorgio Armani , the Oscar winner is the perfect woman to take on the additional responsibilities. “Luminous and sophisticated, her natural elegance and distinguished beauty are striking,” the 83-year-old declared in a statement. “I am pleased to deepen our longstanding relationship.” Cate  has enjoyed a lengthy professional relationship with the brand, and as well as advertising its iconic perfume, she has worn gowns by Armani to numerous high-profile events, including several Academy Award ceremonies. The 49-year-old previously confessed tha...

Emma Thompson: I was always paid less than my male counterparts

Emma Thompson says she was always paid less than her male colleagues. The 59-year-old actor-writer said women are still treated as “second-class citizens”. She also advocated to publish salaries to reveal the gender pay gap. “I was always paid less than my male counterparts. Publishing figures is the first step. “It’s a forensic way of looking at how women are second-class citizens, and I appreciate that because it’s not emotional. This is the fact: this person does the same work for less money, and that’s just wrong,” Thompson told Good Housekeeping magazine. Play Video 42s Hamleys unveil Harry Potter-themed floor Hamleys toy shop on Regent Street in London unveils a new Harry Potter floor showcasing toys inspired by JK Rowling's books and films. The Oscar-winning star urged women to be financially independent. “Earn your own living and keep your own money. It’s your cash and you should always decide what to do with it,” she said. Emma Tho...

Dhadak review: There is no ‘dhak dhak’ in this Janhvi Kapoor and Ishaan Khatter starrer

Dhadak movie cast:  Ishaan Khatter, Janhvi Kapoor, Ashutosh Rana, Kharaj Mukherjee, Aditya Kumar Dhadak movie director:  Shashank Khaitan Dhadak movie rating:  One and a half stars Remaking Sairat for mainstream Bollywood was always going to be a tough ask. The edges of that searing 2016 tale of love-in-the-time-of-caste were necessarily going to have to be blunted and softened, because too much ‘realism’ is hard for us to handle. There isn’t a filmmaker working in India who can match Sairat director Nagraj Manjule’s appetite for recreating raw slap-in-the-face directness for the screen: the only one who can match him is Sanal Sashidharan, and neither of them work, for obvious reasons, in Bollywood, where dirt needs to be proffered up in pretty ribbons. What I was expecting from this  Karan Johar  production, I got– a polish-up-the-muck aesthetic to make it palatable for mainstream audiences. What I didn’t get, was feeling. That sense of playfulness ...