Skip to main content

Veere Di Wedding actor Sumeet Vyas: Nobody expected a bold female-centric film to be accepted so well

Sumeet Vyas and Kareena Kapoor in Veere Di Wedding
Kareena Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor, Swara Bhaskar, Shikha Talsania and Sumeet Vyas starrer Veere Di Wedding crossed Rs 50 crore in its first week of release. In an exclusive chat with indianexpress.com, Sumeet talked about his life post-Veere and how his female adulation is rising by the day.
Sumeet said, “It’s very exciting to see all these mind-boggling numbers. Nobody expected a female-centric film, which is so bold and out there, to be accepted so well. This shows that the audience is so open today. They are mature. They understand where we are coming from.”
Sumeet, who was until now remembered for his lovable boy-next-door character of Mikesh in TVF’s Permanent Roommates, is now being called by his new character name from Veere Di Wedding – Rishabh. Does he feel good about it? “I have been saying this that the idea is not to run away from a character which is popular but to create another character which is as popular as Mikesh perhaps,” said the actor.
He added, “In real life, I am pretty close to what Rishabh is. I would like to believe that. Rishabh also has some flaws. He wants to solve everybody’s problems, make everything alright and make everyone happy at the same time. It’s very difficult to do that. In fact when we try to do that, you end up invariably hurting people. So I guess that’s what I immediately relate to when I read the part.”
Sumeet plays the fiance of Kareena Kapoor’s Kalindi Puri in Veere. From the way he proposes to her to how he supports her even when she breaks up with him, has made Sumeet’s Rishabh, a dream man for women. So, how is Sumeet handling all the female adulation? “You know 15-20 years back I would have never thought I would be getting female attention. It’s quite humbling and it’s a very strange feeling. A part of me doesn’t believe it. But my mother takes it very seriously (laughs),” he shared.
Sumeet is also seen shaking a leg on the song “Bhangra Ta Sajda” in Veere Di Wedding, something he hasn’t done before in films. Sharing the experience, he said, “It was quite nerve-wracking actually. Because they (all the female actors) are so good at it. This is the first time I was doing it. So I took two-three days to rehearse secretly because I didn’t want to look like a fool in front of them. I never thought I would enjoy it too, lip syncing and choreographed dancing. Now, I want to do more of it.”
Sumeet further revealed what it was like to have four female stars on the sets, with him being the only male actor around. “They are so cool. They are really accommodating and they had such a great working discipline. I don’t know why people have this preconceived notion that they will be fighting for attention and I actually saw none of that. I actually wish that people stop putting women in categories. I think women get along just fine and this movie is an example of that. They all got along like a house on fire,” he said.
“I have pretty much the same amount of footage as the other females. And also it was a big advantage for me as I was the only man in this women-centric film. If it had been an all-boys movie then I would have had that thought that am I going to get lost amongst so many boys?” added Sumeet.
Sumeet is also a writer behind web shows like TVF Tripling and Netflix film Love Per Square Foot. We asked him if he ever felt the urge to re-write a script offered to him as an actor. He answered, “Being a writer, you know how much thought goes behind writing a scene. There are certain reasons why the writer has constructed a sentence in a certain way. I really empathise with them and try to stick to the script as much as possible.”
Veere Di Wedding photosThe cast of Veere Di Wedding in a behind-the-scenes photo.
Post Veere Di Wedding, what difference does Sumeet feel in terms of the films being offered to him?
The actor said, “Definitely a change in perception and that’s the advantage of having a film with good numbers. It instils that confidence in people to put their money on an actor who is someone people like to watch. When people narrate scripts to me, they are convinced that they want me. But I am scared because I don’t want to repeat what I have already done. It is boring for me and the audience.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cate Blanchett named first global ambassador of Giorgio Armani Beauty

Cate Blanchett  has been named as  Giorgio Armani Beauty’s  first global ambassador. The Australian actress has worked with the Italian brand since 2013, when she was selected to front its Si fragrance line. However, her role has now been expanded, and she will now represent every single one of  Armani’s beauty categories, including skincare and make-up. And according to the label’s namesake designer,  Giorgio Armani , the Oscar winner is the perfect woman to take on the additional responsibilities. “Luminous and sophisticated, her natural elegance and distinguished beauty are striking,” the 83-year-old declared in a statement. “I am pleased to deepen our longstanding relationship.” Cate  has enjoyed a lengthy professional relationship with the brand, and as well as advertising its iconic perfume, she has worn gowns by Armani to numerous high-profile events, including several Academy Award ceremonies. The 49-year-old previously confessed tha...

Emma Thompson: I was always paid less than my male counterparts

Emma Thompson says she was always paid less than her male colleagues. The 59-year-old actor-writer said women are still treated as “second-class citizens”. She also advocated to publish salaries to reveal the gender pay gap. “I was always paid less than my male counterparts. Publishing figures is the first step. “It’s a forensic way of looking at how women are second-class citizens, and I appreciate that because it’s not emotional. This is the fact: this person does the same work for less money, and that’s just wrong,” Thompson told Good Housekeeping magazine. Play Video 42s Hamleys unveil Harry Potter-themed floor Hamleys toy shop on Regent Street in London unveils a new Harry Potter floor showcasing toys inspired by JK Rowling's books and films. The Oscar-winning star urged women to be financially independent. “Earn your own living and keep your own money. It’s your cash and you should always decide what to do with it,” she said. Emma Tho...

Dhadak review: There is no ‘dhak dhak’ in this Janhvi Kapoor and Ishaan Khatter starrer

Dhadak movie cast:  Ishaan Khatter, Janhvi Kapoor, Ashutosh Rana, Kharaj Mukherjee, Aditya Kumar Dhadak movie director:  Shashank Khaitan Dhadak movie rating:  One and a half stars Remaking Sairat for mainstream Bollywood was always going to be a tough ask. The edges of that searing 2016 tale of love-in-the-time-of-caste were necessarily going to have to be blunted and softened, because too much ‘realism’ is hard for us to handle. There isn’t a filmmaker working in India who can match Sairat director Nagraj Manjule’s appetite for recreating raw slap-in-the-face directness for the screen: the only one who can match him is Sanal Sashidharan, and neither of them work, for obvious reasons, in Bollywood, where dirt needs to be proffered up in pretty ribbons. What I was expecting from this  Karan Johar  production, I got– a polish-up-the-muck aesthetic to make it palatable for mainstream audiences. What I didn’t get, was feeling. That sense of playfulness ...